By Jasmin Schellenberg –
HEALTHY SNACKS AND WHY
The great thing about roll-ups is that the roll can be so many different things. The most obvious is tortilla (preferably whole wheat and sprouted), but other choices include toasted nori seaweed sheets, crepes, pancakes, or a large leaf of lettuce.
Here are a few ways to fill them:
• Raw cream cheese sprinkled with grated carrots, grated zucchini, and grated apple, topped with a lettuce leaf
• A slice of deli meat or left over roast, a little mustard, a pickle or sauerkraut, and fresh sprouts
• Cream cheese, wild salmon (previously cooked), arugula, or lettuce
• Mix cream cheese, chopped apple, nuts, vanilla, cinnamon, and raw honey
• Refried beans (season with cumin, garlic, and salt), lettuce, cheese, and salsa
• Hummus with shredded carrots, cucumber strips, and avocado
Easy to prepare in advance and light snack but full of good protein and enzymes.
NUTRIENT DENSE MEAL
Ab-Goosht (Iranian lamb stew)
Try using a crockpot.
2 lamb shanks
4 lamb necks
2 medium onions
1/2 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight
1/2 cup white beans, soaked overnight
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 Persian limes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons cinnamon
salt and pepper
1. Wash and dry the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Chop the onions and place in a heavy pot. Place meat on top of the onions.
3. Make a hole in the limes and add to the pot along with the drained beans.
4. Add turmeric, cinnamon, and 9 cups of water. Cover and cook on medium heat for 2 hours. During this time, make sure to check the pot and skim any foam that might come to the surface.
5. Add tomato paste and mix well. Add fresh tomatoes.
6. Add potatoes and adjust seasoning. You will need a good amount of salt due to the beans and potatoes. Cover and cook everything for another hour.
7. Once done, place a colander over a bowl. Remove meat bones and place in colander. Separate meat from the bones. Remove the marrow from the bones and add it to the soup or meat.
8. Return the broth to the pot and adjust seasoning as needed.
9. Mash or purée the meat with the beans, potatoes, and tomatoes. Correct seasoning.
10. The mashed meat and soup are served separately. The soup is eaten first and can be sprinkled with cinnamon. You may put a few pieces of Persian bread in it. The mashed meat is eaten with Persian fresh herbs, fresh lime, and bread, and can also be served with fried or grated onion, cinnamon, and chopped vegetables.
Be mindful using weed control this year.
The government calls it safe to use, but studies show it should not to be used at all. Dr Don Huber, Dr Stephanie Seneff, Anthony Samsel, and Nancy Swanson found alarming correlations between the rise of over 30 debilitating diseases in humans, the increased use of glyphosate (the active ingredient in Monsanto’s herbicide Roundup), and the increased prevalence of genetically engineered proteins in our food.
USDA administrators are unable to show any evidence of the safety of GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) crops. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently doubled the amount of glyphosate allowed in food. Soybean oil is now allowed to contain 400 times the limit at which it can impact your health.
Glyphosate is not “just” an herbicide. It was originally patented as a mineral chelator. It immobilizes nutrients, making them unavailable for your body. It’s also patented as a potent antibiotic that can devastate human gut bacteria. Governments in Canada have clear cut areas sprayed with glyphosate. In British Columbia, the very ministry established to protect our environment gets 10,000 hectares of publically owned land sprayed with glyphosate year after year, every year. Unbelievable.
Dr. Seneff strongly suspects that glyphosate is getting into proteins by mistake in place of glycine. This has huge consequences to our health, because the human proteins contaminated with glyphosate don’t work properly in their function in the body, and the glyphosate-contaminated food proteins tend to resist proteolysis, sticking around and causing autoimmune disease through molecular mimicry. This feature easily explains the epidemic we’re seeing in allergies to foods that are likely to contain high amounts of glyphosate contamination, such as gluten, casein, and soy.
One molecule we can predict to be severely affected by glyphosate substitution for glycine is collagen, the most abundant protein in the body. Collagen is essential for cushioning the joints, and, when it is defective due to glyphosate contamination, it performs poorly in its job, leading to joint pain and tendonitis, among other things. This can explain why so many people today suffer from chronic pain conditions such as shoulder pain and back pain, and why we have an epidemic in opioid drug abuse. Foods that contain high amounts of gelatin can be expected to be highly contaminated with glyphosate, and this includes bone broth, which would ordinarily be very nutritious. One also must consider the implications of glyphosate contamination in gel capsules.
Probably the most ominous consequence of glyphosate contamination in collagen is the implications it has for vaccines. Vaccines are injected directly into the body past all the normal barriers, and this makes any toxic ingredient in the vaccine problematic. MMR vaccine was found to have much higher levels of glyphosate than other vaccines, and this may well explain the association between MMR and autism that shows up in the VAERS database. This can also explain why adverse reactions to MMR are much more severe today than they were in the 1990s when much less glyphosate was used on core crops. Dr. Seneff said if nothing changes we will have a one to one ratio of healthy to autistic children by 2032.
You can help reduce glyphosate use by:
•Not using any chemicals on your own lawn and garden
•Lobbying your local school to protect your children and not use glyphosate on school grounds
• Lobbying the Environment Ministry to refrain from forcing logging companies to spray glyphosate on our Super Natural British Columbia.
• Tree planters: Do ask about why you have to sign a waver to not get pregnant for three years after planting. Is it because you work with GMO seedling trees treated with glyphosate?
• Switching to a 100 percent certified organic diet
Avoid the use of neonicotinoid, an insecticide widely used in North America suspected to be the reason for Colony Collapse Disorder in bees where they get disoriented and do not find their way back home. Neonicotinoid is used on seeds and plants sold in garden centers. Read more in Acers USA January 2016 issue or check on Google.
A WALK THROUGH YOUR PANTRY:
GET RID OF: Do not use herbicides in your garden. Avoid any GMO food such as soy, corn, canola, alfalfa products, and sugar beets as well as sugar cane, wheat, barley, and oats—these crops get sprayed with Roundup just before harvest to ripen faster.
REPLACE WITH: Organically grown products, vegetables, and meats. Read up on why weeds outgrow preferred plants in mineral deficient soils.
Brought to you by Jasmin Schellenberg. Inspired by and resourced from “Nourishing Traditions” by Sally Fallon: www.westonaprice.org and Dr. Stephanie Seneff. Read more in Winter journal of Wise Traditions 2017 Dr. Don Huber.For “Nourishing our Children” newsletters of the past visit www.thegreengazette.ca.